Ensuring that students are able to get to school on time every day means that they need to be able to travel safely between home and school. While Oklahoma may have some beautiful days during the fall, winter, and spring, our weather can also be unpredictable and create hazardous travel conditions for our students, teachers, families, and staff. On those inclement weather days, we announce emergency closings or delays by 5 a.m. on the impacted day. When possible, we may make the notification by 10 p.m. on the night prior to the weather event.
We use three guiding principles to make decisions about postponing or closing schools for inclement weather:
- Time spent in the classroom is integral to preparing students for academic success.
- Students and staff must be able to get to and from school safely.
- Parents and guardians must have adequate time to make arrangements for transportation or childcare.
体育投注网School closings or delays are communicated widely through our website, social media, phone call, text message, and local news outlets.
Inclement weather closures may include the following:
- Schools closed and the Education Service Center closed
- Schools closed and the Education Service Center open
- Schools closed and the Education Service Center open with delayed start
- Evening activities canceled. Note that evening activities at any site are canceled on days when schools are closed, even if conditions improve.
"Education Service Center" (ESC) refers to all district offices and affects hourly and 12‑month employees with some exceptions.
体育投注网Unless announced otherwise, the Education Service Center will open on days when schools are closed. All 12‑month employees at district facilities must report to their regularly assigned positions. Team members will receive an e-mail at 5 a.m. and can also visit our website for updates.
School closing announcements are made by 5 a.m.
Stay updated on school closings!
- Website homepage
- Local television stations, newspaper, radio stations
- Message on district phone line 918-746-6800
- Text message sent via SchoolMessenger from 675-87 number
thor guard lightning detection
体育投注网We use a lightning detection system called Thor Guard at 12 sites throughout the district to predict the risk of a lightning strike in the immediate area.
体育投注网Parents can take advantage of this technology, as it can be helpful when out and about around town for after-school activities or kids' sporting events. Visit the link below to access Thor Guard and find the current forecast, radar, and lightning strike potential.